Realigning Shapefile to Map Tile

I imported a .shp file into MapWindow 5 and got an unexpected result: the shapefile data doesn’t exactly line up with the map tile (see image below). Is there a way to either adjust the shapefile or the map tile so that I can get them lined up permanenetly?

I’m brand new to GIS and MapWindow 5.

Misaligned Buildings

Hello @AkheemI and welcome.

Can you provide more information regarding your map projection and the shapefiles projection? And are you using a tile service or a local image? If it’s a local image, does it have a built-in projection or is it using a world file?

This information will hopefully help to determine where the problem lies.

Regards,
Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

My map projection is NAD83 / UTM zone 17N. The shapefile projection is in the same space (Coordinate System according to the layer properties: NAD83_CSRS_UTM_zone_17N). I’m using a tile service provided by Bing.

Thanks for replying, I think the notification for it went to my junk mail.

If I’m understanding correctly, the map projection is NAD83 / UTM zone 17N (EPSG 26917), which is different than NAD83_CSRS_UTM_zone_17N (EPSG 2150). I would think that you need to set your map projection to EPSG 2150, or else allow the map to reproject your layer on-the-fly (there should be a setting in MapWindow5).

Try pre-setting the map projection. I’m not sure if it is selectable in MapWindow5 (since 2150 is tagged as deprecated by GDAL), but in MapWinGIS, you could programmatically do the following (shown in VB):

Dim gp As New GeoProjection
gp.ImportFromEPSG(2150)
AxMap1.GeoProjection = gp

I hope that helps.

Regards,
Jerry.