Point-Layer Transparency

Hello again,

in my MS Access - vba-project I load, among others, several point layers which display labels. The problem now is, that in case the labels lie close together, they hide each other. I have tried AutoOffset = true and AvoidCollisions = true to no effect.

Screeshot with two point layers activated

Screenshot with only one pointlayer activated

Does any body know how to avoid this behavior and show both layers?

Thanks in advance

Hi Helmut,

before looking into solutions from software side: What would you like the map to look like?
Should all labels be visible so you get some kind of most probably unreadable letter-soup, or what do you expect the software should do with the labels of two layers?
Looking at other and even very expensive desktop GIS, there is no ideal automatic labeling anywhere on earth, as far as i know.

But your app looks good anyway. Do you have any stability problems?
With a tile layer in the background my access app is reliably crashing.

best regards
Stefan

Dear Stefan,

thanks very much for your reply. In the said layers I use an offset in x an y directions, to move the labels appart (as you can see in the screeshots), so there is no real overlap. It rather seems that the pointlayers are somehow opaque(?) though I set Transparency to 0.

To your questions: Users need to see both numbers , the estate description and the number of the building.

No, I havent expierenced any stability problems. I’m developing this application since 2004 on Mapwindow / Access Basis and its uses by around 40 users on a daily basis.

The only problem I’m facing currently is my problem in loading wms-layers - and the one described here.

Thanks an regards
Helmut

Hello Helmut,

sorry, i got you wrong, thought it was about placing the lables.
I looked at your screenshots and from them it’s hard to tell, if the lables are some kind of transparent, thou the letters are constructed with very thin lines. you shurely have tried to set the fonts to bold and see how that looks.
The lables i created in my app look good by itself, but their placement is somewhat weired.
What font specs are you using for the map in your screenshot?
maybe i’ve time to try these settings to look at my own screen.

May i ask: Have you placed the ocx straight and plain in an ms access form, or did you buirld some kind of c# based add-on for ms-access?
I’m maintaining an ms access based application to keep track of tree management measurements and we are currently using MapInfo Pro as ole-object in an ms access form to display a map and to create new tree-objects and i want to replaces that with mapwingis-ocx. Your screenshots suggest, that this is possible, - so high hopes.

good night and good luck :slight_smile:
Stefan

I can answer this as I am trying out MapWinGIS in MS access. Yes, you just add it to a form. I did find that the intellisense does not work so when I want to see what options are available, I just do the following : Dim Map1 as new MapwinGis.Map - and using Map1 I can then get all the options - you have to delete this statement before actually running as it complains that there are 2 x Map1.

Dear Colleen and Stefan,

Colleen is right - I place the map-control directly on my Ms-Access form. For most of the time intelli-sense will work if you declare variables fully qualified.

For exanple intelli-sense wom’t work if you declare your object in this way:

Dim objShape As Shapefie

But it will if you declare it in this way:

Dim objShape As MapWinGIS.Shapefile

But I’m not sure whether to recommend using MS-Access or not. For most of the time everything works fine - at least as long as MS is not playing around with MSComCtl.ocx - we experienced so far twice that after updating windows the application crashed… Another reason why I’m thinking about porting the whole thing to C# is, that you need at least on full license for every new MS-Access version…

So I guess it would be worth while thinking about it before you have thousands of lines of code, as I have.

Best whishes and regards

Hello Helmut,

thank you very much for your answer.
I’m facing a similar problem: An ms access application that is now +/- 15 years in development meaning thousands lines of code, written by >5 different developers and distributed to > 60 customers. So no easy way to give it a fresh start, that is much overdue.

But if you say, that it runs stable dispite of ms interventions, i’m quite glad.
Are you using callbacks or the stopinterface of mapwingis?
and if yes: may i ask how you implemented these classes and their usage?

in my current discussion thread here about prefetch-problems with mapwingis i’m on the track of crashes that seem to have it’s cause in callbacks and calls to the stopinterface-class.
And since these are called quite often when loading x tiles for a background layer, it makes this feature a bit whacky, - as it looks now.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Have a nice sunday, stay healthy and best regards
Stefan