MapWindow won't install

I’m a longtime user of MapWindow 4.8.8. Having just bought a new laptop, I thought I’d download the latest version, which I took to be MapWinGIS 5.2. The install appeared to work normally, but the program was not to be found in my start list. Thinking I’d try an earlier version, I downloaded 4.8.8. Again, the install appeared to work normally, and this time there was a MapWinGIS entry in my start list. However, the only clickable entry was “MapWinGIS on the Web,” which took me to the MapWindow Web page. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, so far without results. I’ve downloaded MapWin 4.8.x several times over the years without difficulty, but not this time. I’m mystified. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Never mind, I found MW 4.8.8 on another site (Softpedia). It installed OK and seems to be operating normally. Reading the website blurbs more carefully, I see that MapWinGIS.ocx is described as an ActiveX control. This means nothing to me, but I’m guessing that what I downloaded wasn’t an executable program, although the install process is almost identical to the version that worked.

I did try downloading MW5.6, but got a github message saying “this file isn’t commonly downloaded,” which sounded ominous so I bailed.

Seems odd that I could get a usable version of 4.8.8 somewhere else but now on the MW site. No matter, all is now good.

Hello @EdZotti

Just for the record, MapWinGIS is an ActiveX control (or OCX) that is strictly a map viewer and tool that can be built into an executable program. MapWindow is the open source executable that is built using the MapWinGIS OCX.