Open Street Map Tiles stopped working (too many requests)

Hi,

Open Street Map Tiles have stopped working - I’m getting what is presumably a “too many requests” error - e.g.:

15:04:02.689: ERROR: 0; status 429 size 0 b http://b.tile.openstreetmap.org/7/61/42.png

Is there something I can do about this - can I set up my own application specific “login” rather than a generic MapWinGIS one?

Regards,

Rob H

Hello Rob [@robhoney]

The tiling system is not something I understand a lot about, but here are some thoughts/questions:

1. I poked around a little on the web, but could find nothing specific to OpenStreetMaps. For some sites, the error implies too many requests within a certain window of time. If that’s really the case, I’m not sure it matters if you had a separate login. On the other hand, the error could just be a ‘red herring’ for another problem altogether.
  2. What specific version of MapWinGIS are you running, because some things have changed recently regarding the threading around the Tiles, such that the most recent ‘develop’ version fixed multi-threaded access to the Tile loading. With the 5.1.x releases, the Tile loading was restricted to single-threaded execution, and with that it’s hard to imagine you would have too many requests within a window of time.
  3. If you’re not running the most recent release, have you changed the size of the thread pool associated with Tile loading? The default is 5. If you are indeed requesting too many tiles for a specific time period, then you could possibly decrease the size of the thread pool. However, I’ve run at times with 10 threads, and not seen that error.

Perhaps someone else has some insight. Please let us know if you discover anything new.

Regards,
Jerry.

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. Open Street Maps has been working fine up until a couple of days ago. I can’t imagine we, ourselves are generating too many requests.

We are running 5.0.2.0 here. I haven’t changed the thread pool size, or indeed anything.

Edit- I’ve just tried the MapWindow program (5.5) and OSM is working on that (but very slowly).

Regards,

Rob