Install 32 and 64 Bit MapwinGis side by side

Hello everybody,

I’ve just started porting my MS-Access gis application from Mapwingis 4.8x to 5.11 which runs smoothly so far (thanks - great work done by your Group).

Now arises the question of porting the whole thing to C# to escape the ever arising MSCOMCTL-hell.

In your getting started guide it is stated that I need to install both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions side by side.

I tryed to do so, executed both installers, choose the same directory, ignored the warning and ended up with some mess - my Access application wouldn’t start anymore. So I uninstalled the 32-bit Version again, and my app started again.

So I guess I’ve done something wrong?

Could anybody give a short introduction of how to set up the environment for 64 bit C# development using VisualStudio 2019, please? Just to get me started?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean you first installed the 32-Bit version and then made the necessary changes to your MS-Access application, which results in a working version of your MS-Access application?:

Next, you installed the 64-bit version and now you MS-Application no longer works?

For development you only need to register the 32-bit version or else the ActiveX control doesn’t show up in Visual Studio. On a different machine, you can use the 64-bit version of MapWinGIS if you compile your application to 64-Bit as well.
Using a manifest file you don’t need to register MapWInGIS on the client, just put the MapWinGIS files in its own subfolder of your application (you can see an example in MW5).

If you are going to rewrite your MS-Access application to C# you could also consider creating a plug-in for MW5. Then you don’t need to rewrite the mapping part but just concentrate on your own business logic. MW5 comes with a template plug-in which should bring you up to speed.