MapWinGis not working in MS Access

I use MS Access to store data on wandering albatrosses and their nests that we have monitored on islands in the Southern Ocean since the early 1990s. I recently started using Mapwingis ocx to map the nests and birds within Access. It has worked brilliantly and is much more flexible and prettier than the VB6 exe that I previously used for mapping. I currently have it working nicely on a Windows 10 64 bit machine running 64 bit office 365 and 64 bit mapwingis 5.2.4. I’ve just tried to set it up on an older machine and have run into problems. The old machine runs 64bit Win7, 32 bit Office 365 and I’ve tried both 32 and 64bit mapwingis 5.2.4. I seem to have successfully “Referenced” mapwingis as ms access compiles my declarations of mapwingis shapefiles, but access throws up the following error the first time I use a mapwingis property:

Run time error ‘438

Object doesn’t support this property or method

The line of VBA code which throws up the error is

Map0.GrabProjectionFromData = True

Any help would be much appreciated.

I seem to have solved the problem.

After copying an access database from one pc to another, the mapwingis objects in the database seem no longer to be proper mapwingis objects. Deleting mapwingis objects, and inserting new ones solves the problem. Not an elegant solution, but it works.

Thanks for the update. Perhaps 32-bit Access cannot read (binary) data from an MDB that was created in 64-bit Access. I do presume that you have to use the 32-bit OCX with 32-bit Access.

It’s not clear if you are using Shapefiles for map data storage or the one of the GDAL drivers, like the ESRI Personal Database driver (storage within the MDB).

I’m just tossing things out there in case it helps to determine the root of the issue. Either way, I’m glad you have it working now.

Regards,
Jerry.